check message page for up to date info for our North Devon customers
Important Notice: Stove prices may vary - please check current pricing with us.
To the uninitiated most stoves will probably look very similar and the specifications will sound the same.
This is not the case. Not all stoves are the same by any means.
Having said that, there are many manufacturers of great stoves around such as Esse,Morso etc.
Chimney Sweep North Devon are working in conjunction with a local North Devon manufacturer of an excellent range of stoves (both wood and multifuel) at very competitive rates.
Being based in Barnstaple and working around the North Devon area, we know these stoves very well and have been impressed with their capabilities since we first came across them.
There are 7 in the Devon made Wessex stove range:
The ones pictured here (click on any of them to go to their respective pages)
The Otter The Lion The Rhino
The Buffalo The Puma
(we have installed this at home)
and a further 2
The Firemaster convector fire(an insert which when fed into a chimney instantly gives you the ambience of an open fire and the versatility of being multi fuel)
It is easier than the building work needed for an open fire - very little cosmetic work required to the chimney breast and no need to have it concreted in although bear in mind it is NOT a free standing fireplace so needs to be 'enclosed'.
(it is the closest thing you can buy to an 'instant' solid fuel fire!)
It is also more controllable than an open fire as it has an internal damper (airflow control) which saves on fuel too. Anything which can save money in todays economic climate surely has to be good!!
|The Panther - a much larger version of the Otter stove. Still as sleek to look at but with up to 10kw of heat (don't worry - the white writing is my editing, not what you will get on the stove!!) |
All these stoves are made locally - in North Devon.
We highly recommend Wessex stoves for many reasons
- They are extremely sturdy stoves and will give many many years of superb use (provided the owner looks after it of course)
- Wessex stoves are made from a high grade steel and not a sub standard material which will develop holes or warp within a few years of use.
- Chimney Sweep North Devon sweep Wessex stoves which are over 25 years old and still going strong
- They are simple to operate, VERY controllable and are not covered in ornate 'trappings'
- There is most probably a Wessex stove to suit just about any location
- Because it is locally made in Barnstaple, parts and repairs(unlikely to need this though) are quick and easy to obtain.
- The manufacturers have been producing these stoves for many years and are constantly reviewing the design to give the best performance.
- Wessex stoves can be custom made with a price adjustment.
There is the need for a deposit for this service now, due, unfortunately, to time wasters in the past.
Lastly, a stove is only as good as the owner. If it is neglected and ill treated it will cease to work properly.
- Treat your stove with respect and look after it. See this video which shows you how to keep your stove nice and clean.
- Burn dry wood. Damp wood will create a creosote encrusted chimney which can lead to a chimney fire. A chimney sweep cannot get years of creosote off the sides of the chimney. It looks very pretty and sparkly, but it sets like concrete and even the stiffest brush will not remove it all.
Use a chimney cleaning log.
Burning a chimney cleaning log approximately 1 week prior to a sweep will help 'flake' the creosote so the chimney sweeps brush can do its job. It genuinely does what it says on the packet BUT please do not think this will replace a sweep and you can just burn one or two of these a year instead. Your chimney must be swept as well to remove the flakes and to clean it right to the top.