Check message page for up to date info for our North Devon customers
How do I choose the right sweep?
Any person running their own business builds up a reputation (of either kind!)
To choose a good Devon sweep, check their advertising carefully. Are they ACTUALLY a member of the organisations they claim to belong to?
- Do not get caught out by a Rogue Devon Chimney Sweep
- Other people have used them and they have been recommended - please be aware that no-one can GUARANTEE you will not have problems even with a recommended sweep.
- They will be Insured - if in doubt ask to see their certificate
- They will (normally) come in laden with rods,brushes,cover up cloths and a vacuum (we use an industrial one) and... they may look dirty!
- They will often ask if you want to see the brush pop out of the chimney. Take this opportunity to do so, it is supposed to bring good luck
More importantly, you will also know the chimney sweep has been right to the top of the chimney.
Please note that with certain types of chimney cowls, the brush WILL NOT come out. If it does your cowl will most probably come with it - not a good thing for the sweep or the client!!
- Most will issue a certificate to say your chimney has been swept
- It normally takes around half an hour to sweep a chimney properly. We at Chimney Sweep North Devon allow at least an hour for ones we have not swept before. Be suspicious if they take less than 30 minutes - just keep an eye on them - 3 rods will NOT sweep even a bungalow.
Because most rods are only 3 feet or 1 metre long 3 x 3' = 9 feet - barely more than the height of your room!
I think my Chimney Sweep may be a Rogue Sweep
...what do I do?
- If you can, go outside or get someone else to go outside to watch the brush come out.
- Watch how many rods they use - even a bungalow can take 6 one metre rods or more
- Do they have a vacuum? Are they using rods as well? Some will just put the nozzle of the vacuum up the chimney and tell you it has been swept. This is so dangerous as the soot which has collected at the top of the chimney has not been removed and is a potential fire hazard
(particularly dangerous for thatched roofs)
- If you feel comfortable with them, ask to see their Insurance
- If they do not offer a certificate of sweeping, ask for one. It is unlikely you will receive one from a Rogue Sweep
- They may tell you the chimney needs sweeping 3 or 4 times a year. This is not necessarily the case. It depends on the type of wood used, how dry it is and how often you light the fire.
- Never have them back again
- Tell all your friends and neighbours about them. Word of mouth is one of the quickest and most efficient way to stop these people
Chimney Sweep North Devon would like to see the ruling changed in an effort to keep homes and people safe
Chimney Sweep North Devon - The Sweeps you'll want to keep!
Click here for info on thatched properties in Devon and here for an amusing rhyme which may help you remember which wood to burn!
TEL:01271 376861 OR 07922026818
and speak to Geoff to make an appointment or just for advice.
Click here for our charges